Sunday, December 30, 2012

Best Reads of 2012

Here are the top 5 books I read this year--the ones that I couldn't put down, couldn't stop thinking about, wanted to carry with me all the time, the ones I bought after having read them just so I can see them on my shelf and pull them out from time to time...the ones that changed my life for a brief and beautiful little bit.

Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt



This book is a triumph in character development, dialogue, and plot. It manages to be hilariously funny and bitterly sad all at the same time. There is one major flaw at the end...but I can overlook it only because the whole thing adds up to a wonderful read. Gary D. Schmidt is a master of his craft.


Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer



Everything is Illuminated tore me to shreds and put me back together again. The characters, especially Alex (!!) are fascinating and transformative.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer



Now I am a huge Jonathan Safran Foer fan. This book is the best kind of sad because it's so well written and there are lots of hilarious parts too. Even when you're crying, you're laughing. I thought it was an excellent book. Excellent. The main character is incredible.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt



I got lost in this book. It's a reverse murder mystery. From page one you know who died and who did it, yet for over 500 pages, the author keeps you reading, rapt, as you slowly discover the how and the why and the aftermath.

Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King by William Joyce 



True adventure! Excellent storytelling! I read it to my daughter and she gives it 5 stars. She was gasping, hiding her head, laughing, and begging for more the whole time. The vocabulary is rich and beautiful as well.

Happy Reading in 2013!

1 comment:

  1. Love this glimpse into your reading for the year. Can't wait to get to all of these. :)

    ReplyDelete